|Every cancer is different. Early Detection dramatically improves the survival rates. Unfortunately,
in India mortality rate due to cancer is on the rise. We all can take a step for its reduction by staying
vigilant about our body changes, sharing and visiting the doctor without hesitation. Some of the cancer
screening tests that can be done regularly are:
- Digital rectal exam and PSA test for men
- Breast Self Examination should be started at the age of 20-25 yrs. It is important for women to be familiar with their breasts and stay vigilant. If any changes are observed then the doctor should be consulted immediately.
- Breast Clinical Examination should be done between the age of 30-40 years at least once a year.
- Pap Smear Test 3 years from the time of first sexual intercourse. It is to be done for three consecutive years and stopped if the results are negative.
- Mammography: Between ages 40-50 years women should schedule a mammogram every two years, whereas after 50 years it may be done once a year.
- Chest X-Ray, Ultrasound, Pet Scan, MRI etc may be done only if recommended by the doctor.